Government - State
The client is looking for Systems Administrator III
The Division of Enterprise Technology provides statewide information technology services utilizing a combination of both State- owned equipment and vendor-provided services. The division ensures the effective and efficient use of information technologies in support of client services and programs. It designs, administers, promotes, and supports information technology services to state agencies, local governments, tribal governments, private partners, schools, universities, libraries, and citizens.
Under the general review of the Application Hosting Tools Section Chief, this position is responsible for the planning, implementation, administration, and support of technical resources for the enterprise Communication Technology solutions. Examples of current Communication Technology solutions include Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), Automated Call Distribution (ACD), Telepresence and Unified Communication (UC) for both on premise and cloud hosted services.
This position provides customer service and consulting support across a broad array of services and participates in projects through implementation and completion. To be successful in this role, the incumbent must stay informed about current and emerging technologies to implement innovative solutions with an enterprise perspective.
A strong understanding of customer service and excellent communication skills are critical. This position is part of an agile team in a fast-paced environment and will frequently work with technical and non-technical staff as well as DET management on design strategy and business priorities. This position is accountable for the quality of service provided to state agencies and other partners.
Goals and Worker Activities
10% A. Demonstrate strong customer service, team, communication, and interpersonal skills.
A1. Always deliver high quality customer service.
A2. Work cooperatively with others in a team environment to meet the expected levels of server infrastructure service. A3. Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills.
A4. Develop and maintain good working relationships with all colleagues and customers.
10% B. Develop and follow IT service management best practices to ensure the quality of services delivered to partners.
B1. Actively participate in the development, documentation, and implementation of IT service management best practices to ensure the quality of services delivered to customers and partners.
B2. Understand and follow all published IT management policies and best practices in such areas as: Service Delivery Service Level Management
Financial Management Capacity Management IT Service Continuity Management Availability Management Service Support Service Desk
Incident Management Problem Management
Configuration Management Change Management Release Management
B3. Seek partner agency input prior to making decisions and encourage partner agency cooperation in enterprise objectives.
35% C. Provide technical support for enterprise Communication Technology infrastructure systems, including hardware, software, and services.
C1. Install, test, implement and troubleshoot enterprise Communication Technology system application tools and web server applications.
C2. Maintain installed enterprise Communication Technology systems and infrastructure on an ongoing basis to remain at recommended release level and to resolve problems to maintain system stability.
C3. Use intermediate-level knowledge of enterprise hardware and software problem determination techniques to troubleshoot problems. Use available documentation and work with vendors or agency staff as needed for problem resolution.
C4. Maintain and communicate implementation schedules for system maintenance.
C5. Develop, establish, and document procedures for the proper use and support of enterprise systems and application software.
C6. Work with Security to develop and implement sound security practices and policies that balance the need for security and accessibility of enterprise systems.
C7. Monitor server, storage, and application utilization data and make recommendations to better utilize resources for optimal performance and cost-effectiveness.
C8. Maintain records of tuning changes made and their effect on total resource utilization. C9. Maintain metrics to measure and evaluate shared IT infrastructure systems and usage.
C10. Participate in the development, establishment, and documentation of disaster recovery procedures.
30% D. Provide shared Communication Technology infrastructure consulting support.
D1. Meet with agency customers to review and understand their requirements as they relate to the enterprise shared IT infrastructure systems.
D2. Evaluate agency needs and make recommendations regarding planned projects requiring enterprise shared IT infrastructure systems, to enable customers to make the best use of the shared infrastructure to meet their program needs.
D3. Provide technical analysis and advice to agency customers to allow them to successfully plan for changes to enterprise shared IT infrastructure system configurations.
D4. Analyze agency service requests and develop detailed technical designs, as needed and within standards, to meet their objectives.
10% E. Participate in complex IT projects to implement and maintain enterprise and agency specific server infrastructure and systems.
E1. Understand and follow divisional project management policies, procedures, and practices.
E2. Understand and follow enterprise information portfolio management policies, procedures, and practices. E3. Coordinate project support tasks through other division or agency staff as assigned.
E4. Participate on project teams under the direction of a project manager as assigned.
5% F. Continually update technical skills and participate in the Employee Development Program and other duties.
F1. Maintain familiarity with activities and trends in the field of infrastructure hardware and software and other related technologies.
F2. Attend appropriate training courses, conferences, and seminars.
F3. Read technical publications to maintain a high-level of technical knowledge concerning data processing hardware and software with particular emphasis on shared infrastructure technology.
F4. Participate in activities of professional and technical associations to contribute to the development in the data processing industry and in various agencies of government.
F5. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities
1. Ability to deliver quality service and maintain positive working relationships with customers.
2. Ability to function as a team member, including the open sharing of information, willingness to help wherever needed, and an understanding that the team’s and the organization’s objectives supersede personal agendas.
3. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to both technical peers and less technical customers in person and via written media such as email, reports, and project charters.
4. Knowledge of and ability to apply IT service-delivery management best practices and procedures.
5. Understanding of Communication Technology administration concepts and tools.
6. Resourceful in identifying and obtaining information sources needed to perform duties effectively.
7. Ability to learn quickly; synthesize complex information, identify key points, and communicate results accurately and effectively.
8. Knowledge that IT exists not for its own sake, but for the business value it brings.
9. Knowledge of and ability to perform technology and product research, testing, installation, customization, troubleshooting and support.
10. Knowledge of Communication Technology system hardware and software infrastructure design.
11. Knowledge of Network and related communication system hardware such as Session Border Controllers, Voice Gateways, ACD applications, IVR’s, Routers, Switches, Servers, Storage hardware, and server operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and virtual server technology.
12. Knowledge of VoIP protocols, most specifically SIP.
13. Knowledge TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, WINS and other common network protocols.
14. Knowledge of related software for remote network access, FTP client and Proxy services.
15. Knowledge of system management concepts and software.
16. Knowledge of various Communication Technology infrastructure applications and technologies.
17. Knowledge of database access methods.
18. Knowledge of Active Directory and LDAP application integration.
Top 3 Skills & Years of Experience:
Knowledge of VoIP protocols, specifically SIP – 5 years
Install, test, implement and troubleshoot enterprise Communication Technology system application tools and web server applications. – 5 years
Knowledge of system management concepts and software - 5 years
Nice to Have Skills:
Knowledge of telephony, network and communication hardware systems (Cisco, Intrado, NICE inContact) – 5 years
Remote work is authorized.
VIVA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants have an equal opportunity for placement, and all employees have an equal opportunity to develop on the job. This means that VIVA will not discriminate against any employee or qualified applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.